[TriLUG] rfp for lamp based db for gps

Brian Blater (BBList) bblist at ridetta.org
Fri Nov 4 08:35:13 EST 2005

Jim,

I'm not sure whether you are trying to do your own "home grown" system or use something commercial. We have a commercial Automatic Vehicle Location (AVL) for our transit buses. It has a device (about the size of a reference manual) in each vehicle with built in CDMA PC card and GPS and runs off the 12v system. This device then sends GPS coor and time data to a mapping server every minute or so. We don't have the info going to a web server yet, but it is possible. Our current system is also not Linux based. Not sure how the cost would compare to purchasing a laptop etc. since I wasn't here when the original purchase was made.

Anyways, just something to consider. Let me know if you would like more information.

Brian

>>> jim at neuse.net 11/4/2005 7:18 AM >>>
i've got a potential project for a trucking company in new orleans that
needs to use gps to locate trucks and post data to a central web site.
most of the gps devices cater to folks that want to know where to go.  i
need to know where the trucks are to determine if folks are making their
deliveries or hanging out in the truck stop all day.

i'm thinking about getting notebook pcs equiped with wireless internet
(perhaps the sprint national network flavor) and a gps device.  if each
of the 30 trucks sent email every 10 minutes and a program posted the
data to a central web site, i'd be happy.

any proposals from folks familiar with the tasks at hand?

regards,

jim

--
Jim Ray, President
Neuse River Network, Inc.

tel: 919-838-1672 x111
toll free: 800-617-7652
cell: 919-606-1772
http://www.Neuse.Net

Ask about our Clean Technologies.  Established in the Carolinas 1997.