[TriLUG] RR Network Reliablity

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 7 11:49:34 EST 2005

Hey folks,

Looking for a suggestion. I have noticed that my VPN tunnels seem to drop on a
random order.

So I have set up a simple ping cron job, I have it sending out 60 pings every
minute to three servers (one on the RR network {DNS}, one on the east coast,
one on the west coast).

The job is run every minute, so in fact this is a continuous ping that sends
results every minute.

I see that of my 60 packets, I loose a few almost once every 3 minutes. This
seems to affect all three servers.

So my questions are:

1. Is this providing me with a valid network test?
2. What kind of results should I expect?
3. What type of network reliability test would you recommend?
4. What type of network reliability should I expect?

Thanks,

Ron