[TriLUG] RE: Roadrunner email has been down since yesterday afternoon!

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon Nov 7 11:57:09 EST 2005

You should also ping your local internal router and your local
Roadrunner router.  This will let you know if the problem is local (like
your firewall dropping packets) or if it's the local Road Runner router
that is simply overwhelmed.

I've found Road Runner's internal network to be very robust (despite
todays fun). The problem comes at the edges of their contact with the
customer - ie the community hub/switch that your cable modem connects to
inside RoadRunner.

One way to get better connectivity is to have Roadrunner put your cable
modem into bridged mode. The cable modems tend to run low end cpu's and
they drop or delay packets significantly when under load. If you remove
the NAT function from them that helps very much.

Jon Carnes