[TriLUG] Clusters, performance, etc...

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Mon Nov 7 18:27:39 EST 2005

I'm surprised that there weren't earlier responses that suggest getting
off of a workstation platform.  It's pretty surprising the performance
difference with a "real server".  Disk IO, CPU to Memory transfers,
Network IO all generally go way up when you get a more significant
hardware platform.

Of course there's a lot to it, as others said, there isn't enough info
in the original post.

If the processing involves reading A.txt into RAM and doing stuff to it,
then cramming it into a Database, you'd likely do well with an AMD
solution, their CPU to RAM transfers are really fast.  But disk
performance isn't as important.

If you are going to be taking A.txt, grep it, spit out several small
files, do stuff to them, then cram the results into a database, you'd
get more bang by getting a really good RAID subsystem, and I don't mean
software RAID.  I know that the argument of Software vs. Hardware RAID
is second only to VI vs EMACS, but if you want real speed my vote is for
hardware.  LOTS of Cache on the controller, disks that are engineered in
conjunction with the controller, boy does it make a difference.

Are you,

Disk bound?
Processor Bound?
Memory Bound?
Network Bound?

All that said, you could still be better off to cluster some
workstations.  Then you have the cluster coding question, how to best
use the clustered systems?  Will you be creating a support headache that
you will "own" for the rest of your days?

Lots to think about......

	Kevin