[TriLUG] RR Network Reliablity

Ryan Leathers ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com
Tue Nov 8 09:46:48 EST 2005

First of all, CIR and QoS are probably the most misunderstood elements
of Frame Relay.  It is widely accepted that since billing is based in no
small part on CIR there must be a lot to it. In fact, it matters little.
I'll spare going too deep into this tangent, except to say, when it
comes to reliable quality delivery of packets you should be far more
concerned with the access loop technology than anything to do with Frame
Relay itself.

Interestingly, if you have been satisfied with Frame Relay performance,
but wish to save some $, you are a perfect candidate for ADSL.  As a
Frame customer you have almost certainly already been using DSL as your
access loop (HDSL, HDSL2, or perhaps SDSL).  ADSL is the Asymmetric
cousin of these "buisiness class" DSLs, and largely for reasons of
efficiency it has become the "residential class" DSL of choice among
providers. It does not enjoy the same high priority support as the more
expensive loop technologies do, but this is not so much a technical
liability as a business decision on the part of the provider.

The reason ADSL is potentially a good fit for you is that it mirrors, as
a local loop technology, the asymmetric layer 2 behavior you have become
accustomed to with Frame Relay.  Remember that with Frame you can get
the full capacity of the loop downstream, but there are some upstream
limitations in the form of CIR, Bc, Be.  So, long story short, if you
are willing to trade a bit of mean time to repair (MTTR) for lower
monthly cost, you may find that ADSL is a perfect fit.

Random thought: I know of at least one DSLAM maker who offers "Frame
over ADSL" line cards - go figure.

Ryan