[TriLUG] Linux vs Windows comparison criteria?

sholton at mindspring.com sholton at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 9 08:48:08 EST 2005

Michael Durbin <mdurbin at bluecg.com> wrote:

> We are preparing to write some components with much more stringent
> latency/throughput requirements than what we've done so far and are
> seriously considering writing these in Linux.

Are you concerned about TCP latency or kernel latency?

In the kernel space, there are linux kernels optimized fo
reduce (or at least make predictable) the inherent kernel
latency. Many of these are targeted at telecommunications
applications where latency is mandated.

Google for "Carrier Grade Linux".

TCP as a protocol is not intended to provide any latency
guarantees, but that happens outside any operating system
or implementation space. Picking Windows over Linux or vice-
versa won't buy you much if the other already has you against
the wall.

>From the little you've told us, I'd be much more concerned about
the Windows legacy code and interoperability. These aspects
of your project are beyond your control and represent a risk you
cannot adequately quantify. I'm working a case now where the
manufacturer (for their own reasons) has decided to discontinue
their product and we have a decade or so of our work product
dependent on having their hardware available. Needless to say
we're feeling a bit blindsided by this right now.

If there is an interoperability interface you can shoot towards
(where you can say you're going to let one OS own this side and
the other one own that side) you can at least partition the risk
and build substitute components for one side while leaving the
other alone.

Once you get down into the code, however, it's pretty much
all the same, I'd expect. If you're /really/ stressing the system,
you may need the extra control you get with something you
can own (Linux, Free Software, etc.)

--
Steve Holton
sholton at mindspring.com
"Convenience causes blindness. Think about it."