[TriLUG] dead.letter file help

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Nov 9 12:47:13 EST 2005

Mail gets dumped into there when something blocks the local delivery of
valid local mail. This normally happens when the volume containing the
mail spool is full - or if you have multiple processes locking the users
mail spools.

If there are not too many hunks of mail in the dead.letter box then you
can simply use an editor to isolate each hunk and then cat each hunk
into the appropriate mail spool.

As I recall there is also a canned formail script floating around out
there on the net that processes the mail in dead.letter (once you have
fixed whatever problem that made the mail end up in dead.letter).

I used to have that script in times long ago (heck I probably *wrote*
that script!), but have since let it lapse into antiquity.

Good Luck - Jon Carnes