[TriLUG] Linux DVD duplication

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 16:29:46 EST 2005

Most purchased DVDs are dual layer pressed disks. They hold roughly 8.5GB.
If you want to duplicate them, you will need dual layer blanks and a dual
layer drive. I usually use cdrdao which has a copy command. You can also use
dd(eg: dd if=/dev/cdrom of=my_dvd.iso). Then just burn the iso image to a
blank with cdrecord. With both of these you get an exact duplicate of the
original disk, complete with all the features, audio tracks and bonus
material. The gotcha is that dual layer media is currently $3-6 per disk.

If you're looking to rip just the movie track and create a new disk, things
get complicated. I've used dvdrip (http://www.exit1.org/dvdrip/) with good
results for ripping. It's available from freshrpms. I generally then just
save the ripped file to a standard data dvd. This simplifies things, but
limits playback for computers rather than hardware dvd players. If you want
a dvd that hardware dvd players can use, you'll need to search for dvd
authoring software. I just do that on my Mac, so I can't point you to any
good Linux ones.

Good luck,
Ken