[TriLUG] More Asterisk Questions

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Wed Nov 9 16:59:56 EST 2005

As a follow up to my earlier posts, I set up OpenVPN and my remote user is
using Xten's Eyebeam to connect to our * machine. Everything is connecting
up fine.

However, the voice quality is horrible. We've done some testing. If he comes
in via the vpn, the quality sucks. If I set up port forwarding and he comes
in that way, the voice quality is good, on par with a cell phone. The
network path is the same either way. The firewall machine is OLD, a p5-200.
The question is, do VPNs introduce latency that degrades the voice quality
by their very nature or is our vpn server so slow that the slow
encrypting/decrypting is causing it? The second question is what is the best
codec to use? It's currently set to gsm just because that's what it
defaulted to. Is there a better choice?

TIA,
Ken