[TriLUG] No Good Deed Goes Unpunished

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Mon Nov 14 09:20:11 EST 2005

> They do now seem to have a "Business" service which does have a static
> ip address (actually up to 6 with additional chard) and "up to" 2000
> KBS down and "up to" 500 KBS up. Even then they start throttling
> download bandwidth after you've downloaded 500MB which these days is
> quite small.
>
> Looking at their web site, it does seem that for their other service
> plans they put you inside a NAT router, so unless they support port
> routing, which I can't see how they could reasonably support, you're
> right.

Alls I know is when my company set up a satellite warehouse (no pun
intended..) in Carthage, MS, where the only broadband option was
DirecWay, we specifically asked for a static IP and were assured we'd
have one (they went so far as to give us a static address in the 67.
Class A), but that still turned out to be behind their NOCs / NAT.  The
static IP wasn't public, and still got translated.  Conversations with
the DirecWay engineers led to the resolution that even "business class"
couldn't provide non-NATted public addresses because of the way their
NOCs work.  This was about a month or two ago.  Very recent.

But of course it's entirely possible that the engineer had smoked some
bad stuff that morning and didn't know what he was talking about.

Caveat emptor.  Ask lots of questions to knowledgeable engineers.

~B