[TriLUG] Yet another c++ question

Phillip Rhodes motley.crue.fan at gmail.com
Tue Nov 15 09:59:30 EST 2005

On 11/15/05, Mark Freeze <mfreeze at gmail.com> wrote:

> My question is this: What would be the best way on a Linux system to
> keep track of this unique key identifier? Or is there a better way to
> accomplish this task? I chose to write it to the Windows registry with
> VB so it wouldn't get deleted from the disk, it was not easily
> tampered with by users of the program, and really, it was just one
> less file that I had to keep up with. Having the key off by even one
> record could potentially catastrophic. I keep these files forever and
> I process and print around 1 million statements per month.

I probably just don't understand your process well enough to comment,
but it seems to me like it might be easier to just pump the data into
an RDBMS as step 1 and then rely on the facilities the RDBMS
provides for doing a lot of this other stuff... Is there a specific reason
why that isn't an option?

Failing that, Linux has no registry per se, so you'd probably just have
to write your key values out to a file somewhere, or store the keys in an
RDBMS.

TTYL,

Phil