[TriLUG] OpenVPN: TAP vs TUN

Paul G. Szabady Paul at ThyService.com
Fri Nov 18 10:22:08 EST 2005

Greetings,

I am trying to set up a TAP style VPN but I'm apparently missing a key
piece of information and was hoping someone could clarify this for me.

I have a linux (CentOS 4.2) server w/OpenVPN (openvpn-2.1_beta7-1
installed from RPM built from src), and a windows 2000 server behind a
linksys router.  I need to be able to access the windows server on the
local LAN from the internet, with an IP address in the same subnet as the
windows server, hence the desire to set up using TAP/bridge mode.
(Setting up TUN was easy, but didn't work as I needed it to.)  The linux
machine has a single NIC, which is why this is so confusing to me.  When I
set up OpenVPN w/TAP, I lose all network access to the linux server.
Having had a "home grown linux switch" (old pc w/6 NICs running in bridge
mode), this makes sense.  I believe I have followed all the
instructions/notes/suggestions from the openVPN howto as well as the
Ethernet-Bridge-netfilter howto.  But I'm still missing something.

The big question:  If I am apparently invisible to the network, how does
one make a connection (VPN or other) to the linux server?

--
Paul
@ Thy Service