[TriLUG] Which Fedora Core...

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 18 09:30:58 EST 2005

First, FC1 and 2 are legacy now, 3 probably will be soon.  (You said
"foot the bill", I hope you are not going to pay for Fedora Core!!)
:)  If you want stability, AND a Red Hat like environment without
cost, why not go with something like CentOS?  http://www.centos.org
and get CentOS 4.2, which is derived from RHEL 4 U2, but free.  Also
see #centos on freenode.  Unless you have a particular reason for
going with Fedora Core 4, I wouldn't do it.  In FC4, you will have
bleeding edge software vs better tested and stable software that you
would find in CentOS if you are planning to run a server and not a
workstation.  Shelf life is also a consideration.  With Fedora Core,
expect 6 month release cycle (although this isn't written in stone)
but with CentOS (b/c its roots are RHEL) the release cycle is long,
releases are stable and thoroughly tested, and the CentOS community is
very active.  I use all CentOS for my servers at home and in
production at work.  If I want a linux workstation, then I'd have to
choose between FC4 and Ubuntu 5.10 and I'd probably choose Ubuntu if
it wasn't full time use, FC4 it was full time use, depending on my
needs, I may even choose CentOS for a workstation (if I don't want to
game and do bleeding edge stuff which I may or may not care about)

hope this all helps... I get wordy sometimes.  :)
David McD