[TriLUG] GRUB Loading stage2...

Howard Boyd II boyd at qualexphoto.com
Wed Nov 30 13:25:34 EST 2005

John:

Thanks for the advice. I do have the latest BIOS installed.

I decided to re-install CentOS 3.6 and choose the LILO boot loader.
This seemed to provide better results. OS installed and was able to
boot. Still had some strange behavior. On install, the following message
scrolled on the screen:

pc_keyb: controller jammed (0xFF)

Eventually, the message went away and the install proceeded. This
happens each time I try to install CentOS 3.6. The same message appeared
when booting the OS using LILO. The system also appeared to hang when a
detecting new hardware message appeared on the screen though it did
eventually boot up into the OS.

I found someone w/ similar troubles here ->
http://www.redhatconfig.com/msg/87714.html

I eventually decided to give CentOS 4.2 a try. Was able to install
CentOS 4.2 w/o getting the pc_keyb: controller jammed message and was
able to use GRUB to boot into the OS.

Thanks again for the help. Regards,

Howard

***********************************
*    In my dreams, your dreams come true.
*    Song: In My Dreams
*    Artist: Josh Turner
*    CD: Long Black Train
***********************************

>>> john280z at gmail.com 11/30/05 11:38 AM >>>
On 11/30/05, Howard Boyd II <boyd at qualexphoto.com> wrote:
 IBM Deskstar
> Model: IC35L060AVVA07-0
> P/N: 07N8098
> FRU: 19K1570
>
> The jumpers are set to the Cable Select setting.
>
> Have previously been able to install the "Unofficial" Fedora Core
4.1
> distro on this same box.

   here are the offical jumpers:
http://tinyurl.com/6vwcu

scroll down to "Capacity clip to 2GB/32GB". You might want to try to
set it to 32 Gig and then try to boot it. I'm serious.

   Also, is the BIOS fully up to date?
"Caution2: A number of BIOSes don't return a correct LBA support
bitmap even if they do have the support."

johnm