[TriLUG] Evolution question

James Brigman jbrigman at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 1 03:03:48 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-11-30 at 11:07 -0500, Matt Pusateri wrote:
> This was then exchange connector available from Fedora as of about 2
> weeks ago.  Sorry I didn't pay attention to versions, nor did I
> troubleshoot it a whole lot.  I basically switched, because I knew
> thunderbird worked and that Evolution has a history of being buggy.

Oh lordy don't get me started. Versions of Evolution included in the
RHEL/CentOS had problems like:

- on a slow (PIII-733) computer, if you moved too fast with cut/paste,
the cut/paste buffer would not get properly loaded with the desired
data.

- you couldn't "Edit as New Message" in previous versions. You can as of
v2.2.1, but only if you originated the email.

- before v2.2, you couldn't select/copy text in an inbound, read email
and then paste it into an outgoing message.

- spam filtering is poor, even when you've got it dialed all the way up
to use some of the famous realtime spam lists

- wow...download of pop email messages is slow...

Nevertheless...I'm using Evolution to type this - it was the reason I
went to SuSE 9.3, knowing that Novell had bought Ximian. As free
competition to Office/Outlook, nothing beats it!

JKB