[TriLUG] I thought that sourceforge was for open SOURCE!?!

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Dec 2 11:47:32 EST 2005

So today I get the occasional "update" mailing from sourceforge.net
and I was a little surprised by the contents.

The first item was effectively an ad for splunk, complete with a
click-through ad link to splunk.com.  Now while I've looked at, and
have been intriqued by this log analysis 'system', I haven't
downloaded it because of it's decidedly non-free license
http://www.splunk.com/index.php/articles/news/66  They only distribute
binaries,

I'd love to have this kind of function, but I'd really prefer to have
something which is published under an open source license, and I DON"T
want to accept their download agreement.

I guess that sourceforge.net can do what they want to raise funds, but
for some reason this just doesn't taste right to me.
--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site
http://www.mercuryspacecraft.com/