[TriLUG] What did the PS in PS/2 stand for?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Wed Dec 7 20:17:39 EST 2005

On Wed, 7 Dec 2005, Rick DeNatale wrote:

> Nowadays, besides the mouse/keyboard interface, I beleive that more
> folks associate PS/2 and PS/1 with Sony playstations than with IBM
> computers.

Since I like being pedantic (hey, at least I'll admit it), I should point
out that the Playstation 2 is abbreviated PS2 without a slash, unlike the
IBM PS/2.

The original Playstation is not called PS1 except by revisionist
historians.  This is slightly different from the IBM PS/1, which as
discussed was produced by IBM *after* the PS/2.  It was called the PS/1
because it reused the old ISA archictecture after the Microchannel effort
failed to gain traction.

I had a "remanufactured" IBM PS/1, 486 DX2 class, purchased from the
short-lived factory outlet store in Morrissville, for almost 7 years.  I
had no hardware problems (though I did replace the original hard drive
somewhere along the way).  It was a solid machine, though by the end a 486
seemed pretty darn slow.  :-)

--Jeremy