[TriLUG] SLES9 RAID and EVMS

Ken Mink ken.mink at gmail.com
Thu Dec 8 15:23:36 EST 2005

If I'm wrong about this, I know someone will correct me.

I just want to review so you can correct me on the setup. You've got 8
drives; 1 for /boot and swap and 7 in a RAID5 array. You've been able to
partition for /boot and swap and have successfully created the RAID5 array
which is /dev/md0. Now you want to carve up /dev/md0 for filesystems and/or
other volumes?

/dev/md0 is logically the same as a single partition. The word logically is
a clue for you. You need to use LVM(Logical Volume Manager) to create
logical volumes inside md0. You can then use the logical volumes for
filesystems and such.

If you're unfamiliar with logical volumes, they're incredibly useful and
allow for all sorts of disk configurations. I don't have a good link for a
guide. Maybe someone else could provide one.

I hope this was helpful and correct,
Ken