[TriLUG] Hosting web site on old machine at home??

Chad Thomsen chad.thomsen at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 08:22:10 EST 2005

Howdy.  Was thinking about hosting a web site at home on an old 400 P2
pentium I have laying around the house.  Figured it would be a good way to
futher my newbian knowedge of linux since I am primarly a
Windows/AS400/Cisco guy.  Would probably load up some sort of lean distro
and run apache.  Few questions though.

1. What is good software used to host a photos that you can browse easily.
2.  Good software for bloggs (doubt I will do blogging but figured I may as
well ask)
3.  Is a 400 P2 128 megs of ram good enough for a lightly traveled web
site.  Will not run a GUI to conserve resources.  Is this enough horse power
to MySQL/PHP.  I might though togather a VERY basic dynamic web site just to
tinker and learn PHP(if I can find time).
4.  Any issues with doing such a thing with Road Runner.
5.  What dynamic DNS service to you all use or is buying a static IP address
cheaper?
6.  What distro of linux would you use for a project of this nature?

Any opinions would be much appreciated.

Thains!

Chad