[TriLUG] Hosting web site on old machine at home??

Warren Myers volcimaster at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 09:42:30 EST 2005

Hey Chad,

2.  Good software for bloggs (doubt I will do blogging but figured I may as
> well ask)

I like WordPress a lot. We're integrating into my workplace, though I use a
home-brew journaling tool right now.

3.  Is a 400 P2 128 megs of ram good enough for a lightly traveled web
> site.  Will not run a GUI to conserve resources.  Is this enough horse
> power
> to MySQL/PHP.  I might though togather a VERY basic dynamic web site just
> tinker and learn PHP(if I can find time).

4.  Any issues with doing such a thing with Road Runner.

Yep. A buddy of mine ran a very heavily-used (10-40k hits/wk) server on a
PIII 650 with 256Mb over RR for over a year, though it was pretty slow
transfer :)

6.  What distro of linux would you use for a project of this nature?

I like Mandriva, Kubuntu, and CentOS, as they're the distros I have used.
I've been learning FreeBSD recently, and you may be interested in looking at
that as an option also.

As someone else mentioned above, Tektonic has some pretty nice hosting
options also. I've been using them for 6 mos for one of the domains I
manage, and just started another account with them for a non-profit group
I'm working with.

--
http://warrenmyers.com
"God may not play dice with the universe, but something strange is going on