[TriLUG] MIDI Software Synths?

Brian Henning lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com
Sun Dec 11 21:28:44 EST 2005

Hi Folks!
   Just curious if anyone out there in TriLUG land does much with MIDI on
our favorite platform.  I've been doing some looking around, and a lot of
what I've found hasn't been encouraging.

There're two main issues I currently face in wanting to get MIDI
functionality with my current setup.  One is composition tools, and so far
I haven't even looked that far into it, because it's currently undermined
by the second issue, which is software synths.  If my onboard sound
hardware has a hardware synth at all, it's a cinch that it sounds like
crap, and furthermore FC4 doesn't know anything about it by default and I
don't feel like expending the effort to get it working when I'm so certain
the sound results will be horrid.  So I'm looking for software synth
programs, and I'm coming up very discouraged.
   Of course, there's TiMidity++, which seems to require a lot of inside
knowledge to get working (and doesn't include a GUI by default).  There's
a few others, which all seem to have stagnated or not be geared toward the
simple rendering of a run-of-the-mill MIDI song.
   So I ask you all.  What do yous guyses use, if anything?

Cheers,
~Brian