[TriLUG] SGI replacement advice

Wayne Henley wh175 at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 13 17:28:51 EST 2005

Matt,

In the past I have used SGI systems for 3D modeling (using IDEAS
software). They were replaced with HP J class workstations (two CPU and
everything), I'm an old HP-UX fan, so the OS wasn't an issue.
The J class (I'm not sure what they're called now} were workhorses when
it came to the work I was doing *IF* they were equipped with the correct
graphics card.

Sun also has workstations targeted towards the CAM/CAD audience, but as
with the HP, be very careful with your graphics card selection. It can
make or break a system.

As far as Intel/Linux are concerned, I've seen systems targeted at
gamers, but not really the CAD/CAM audience.

In summary this isn't actually an answer to your question per se just
advice from someone who has been there. I like my J class. It rocks,
hard. I'm sure there are others who disagree, but you have my $.02.

Wayne