[TriLUG] UNIX architecture page needed

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Dec 13 20:30:18 EST 2005

On 12/13/05, Cristobal Palmer <cristobalpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:
> Especially since Ubuntu 5.10 "Breezy" came out, I've been feeling like
> I have less external pressure to poke under the "hood" since stuff
> mostly Just Works. That's partly why I've pestered people to
> contribute to our TriLUG wiki--I want to learn!
>
> Since I haven't done so in awhile, I'd like to implore the TriLUG
> community once again to take up the task of adding to and editing the
> "Linux Essential Knowledge" page on the wiki.
>
> Not your cup of tea? How about this:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=UNIX_architecture&action=edit
>
> "UNIX architecture" needs an entry in en.wikipedia.org (authored by
> someone who can do it justice)! NB: this needs to be _UNIX_
> architecture, not just Linux architecture. A page that had a blithe
> pointer to "Linux architecture" was already deleted

I'm not sure what this means.

Unix is a particular operating system originally trademarked by AT&T,
and now IINM by SCO.

Linux (or GNU Linux is you adhere to Stallman's position) is not Unix,
neither is GNU (which after all stand for GNU is Not Unix.

There is also POSIX which is an IEEE standard for the APIs of
"Unix-like" operating systems.

--
Rick DeNatale

Visit the Project Mercury Wiki Site