[TriLUG] UNIX architecture page needed

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 08:12:08 EST 2005

> I'm not sure what this means.
>
> Unix is a particular operating system originally trademarked by AT&T,
> and now IINM by SCO.
>
> Linux (or GNU Linux is you adhere to Stallman's position) is not Unix,
> neither is GNU (which after all stand for GNU is Not Unix.
>
> There is also POSIX which is an IEEE standard for the APIs of
> "Unix-like" operating systems.

Well, regardless, without UNIX I seriously doubt LINUX would look and
feel anything like it does today.  There are obvious influences from
UNIX that can be felt and seen in POSIX.  GNU draws a lot of influence
from the UNIX commands as well (is GNU's 'ls' much different from UNIX
'ls'?).  On would be hard pressed to argue that the GNU commands
operating differently then the UNIX counterparts.

All that said if you want to get a feel for UNIX architecture I would
suggest going straight to the source that is, thankfully, presented by
one of the two fathers of UNIX on the Internet free of charge.  Dennis
Ritchie has published a number of early papers on his personal Bell
Labs website that give a great feel for where a lot of the commands
originated and how early UNIX was created.  Check out the following:

Dennis Ritchie's Bell Labs home page:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/

Unix Programmer's Manual, First Edition 1971:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/1stEdman.html

Ritchie's 1972 notes on UNIX:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/notes.html

How the pipe originated:
http://cm.bell-labs.com/cm/cs/who/dmr/mdmpipe.html

And, finally, the Unix Hater's Handbook (don't get too bent out of
shape that it is hosted on a Microsoft webpage, the person who posted
this is a UNIX hack from way, way back)
http://research.microsoft.com/~daniel/preface.html

There is a wealth of knowledge on Mr. Ritchie's home page for anyone interested.

Greg