[TriLUG] even more memories

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 14 12:27:18 EST 2005

I'd suggest a viewing of Cringley's Triumph of the Nerds at a TriLUG
even to give everyone a good feel for personal computing history but
we've been down that path once back about three years ago and it was
decided that:

1. even though the credits clearly state it could be shown for
educational purposes

that

A. meetings for TriLUG are advertised and open to the public
B. nobody was sure if a public showing would be legal (Cringley
himself responded to an e-mail stating "go ahead and show it" but he
was on the copyright holder so permission was not his to give.

Bummer.

If you haven't seen Triumph of the Nerds I highly recommend seeing it.
 Screenshots of the Xerox Alto and insider shots of PARC are worth it
alone but the gem, for me, were interviews with the ALTAIR creators
and the IBM Project Managers that created the XP.  The Mac stuff was
really cool too, but everyone kind of "knows" Woz and Jobs.

Greg