[TriLUG] more DVD-burning questions

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Dec 15 12:08:41 EST 2005

Brian Henning wrote:
> The original file was a .gz disk image, about 3.8GB in size.  mkisofs
> did not complain about building an ISO from it.  cdrecord burned it in
> 1111.301 seconds, and fixated in 0.406s (which does seem odd, being used
> to much longer fixating times for CD-R/RWs), and exited normally.

I would advise against trying to burn any files over 2 GB.  I am pretty
sure mkisofs doesn't actually complain, for some strange reason...  When
I first started burning DVDs, I tried burning a file a bit over 2 GB.
The disc burned, and could be mounted.  The filesizes were reported very
incorrectly, and the files weren't readable.

> But I can't mount it.  mount gives the usual "bad superblock [etc. etc.
> etc.]" error.  I can visually look at the disc and see the tell-tale
> moire texture, the data's definitely on there, but I can't get to it at
> all.
>
> I tried to simply grab whatever was on the disc with "dd if=/dev/cdrom1
> of=afile bs=1024 count=4096M", but apparently that depends on the
> filesystem properly existing in some form or other because dd exited
> immediately with 2+0 records in and out.

This makes it sound like there is absolutely no data on the disc, or the
drive can't read the disc.  Have you tried the disc in another machine?
 I have a burner here that sometimes can't read discs that it burned
(but every machine I put them in can read them just fine).

> Here's a summary of what I did:
>
> media: 8.5GB Double-Layer DVD+R
>
> % mkisofs -o image.iso -V VolumeName -R -J image.gz
> ... several minutes later, mkisofs spits out a 3,991 MB .iso
> % cdrecord -dev=/dev/cdrom1 -verbose -dao -driveropts=burnfree image.iso
> ... 1123.707 seconds later, cdrecord exits with no errors.
> Hit the eject button, drive blinks red and ejects the disc.

I would assume that the activity of the LED would be manufacturer, and
perhaps device, specific.

Pat