[TriLUG] more DVD-burning questions

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Dec 15 16:01:58 EST 2005

Brian Henning wrote:
> % cdrecord -dev=/dev/cdrom1 -verbose -dao -driveropts=burnfree staging.ext2
> ...no errors.  But again, fixating seemed to take a terribly short time.

Looks to me like you did everything properly :).

> % mount -t ext2 /dev/cdrom1 /cdrom
> mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected, mounting read-only
> mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
>         missing codepage or other error
>         In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
>         dmesg | tail  or so
>
> ...Taking its advice,
> % dmesg | tail
> attempt to access beyond end of device
> hda: rw=0, want=8, limit=4
> EXT2-fs: Couldn't read superblock on 2nd try.

What do you get if you try mounting a blank piece of media?  What does
cdrecord -atip say about the media?

I am not sure if -atip gives the information I am curious about...
dvd+rw-tools comes with dvd+rw-mediainfo.  It tells you all kinds of
useful stuff, including how many sessions have been burned.

> I'm really pulling my hair out here.  Yes, I've tried different drives
> in different machines.  The messages in dmesg are the same both places.
>   It's this "attempt to access beyond end of device" business that has
> me really wondering...  something about the burned disc is causing the
> drive to not report its size correctly.
>
> Is there something special I need to tell the cdrecord command to make a
> dual-layer DVD+R burn correctly?

I can't say for sure, because I haven't burned a dual layer disc yet.
The media is too expensive for me to bother with when I can just split
my files on to two discs.

Have you tried burning a single layer disc?  Or burning at a lower speed?

> CD-RWs work perfectly in the drive, burning and mounting.
>
> ~Brian

Pat