[TriLUG] more DVD-burning questions

Pat Regan thehead at patshead.com
Thu Dec 15 23:47:50 EST 2005

Brian Henning wrote:
> Now I don't know squat about what that really means, but some things
> look pretty weird to my uneducated eye:
> Track #1 -- invisible?  It's the right size though.. but what does
> invisible mean?
> and State of Last Session: incomplete?  err...  huh?  How do I complete it?

Ok, I am ignorant of what this means, but...  I dropped in a random
known-good DVD I have hear.  Here is what I get for the relevent part:

READ DISC INFORMATION:
 Disc status:           appendable
 Number of Sessions:    2
 State of Last Session: empty
 "Next" Track:          2
 Number of Tracks:      2
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#1]:
 Track State:           invisible
 Track Start Address:   0*2KB
 Free Blocks:           0*2KB
 Fixed Packet Size:     16*2KB
 Track Size:            1639920*2KB
READ TRACK INFORMATION[#2]:
 Track State:           blank
 Track Start Address:   1641968*2KB
 Next Writable Address: 1641968*2KB
 Free Blocks:           653136*2KB
 Track Size:            653136*2KB

I do not know what invisible means in this case, but I can sure see the
data :).  I assume your problem is the incomplete session.

> Thanks a ton for all the help so far.  Maybe these discs are salvagable?
>   Or if not, maybe at least I'll learn whatever it is I'm missing at
> this point.

If the session isn't closed, maybe the disc never finished fixating?
You can probably try cdrecord -fix, but I have no idea if it will help.

Since you have dvd+rw-tools installed, why don't you try burning a disc
with growisofs?  It uses all the same switches as mkisofs, except it has
a few extra for specifying the device to write to and some write options.

You can probably use it to burn your ext2 image:

growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=imagefilename

I have no idea what the state of cdrecord is as far as burning DVDs.  I
know when I got my first DVD burner Debian had cdrecord and some sort of
oddball dvdrecord.  dvdrecord was apparently some branch of cdrecord.
Do you still have to use some sort of key to allow cdrecord to burn DVDs?

growisofs seemed easier to use for burning multisession discs, which was
very handy for weekly backups.

Pat