[TriLUG] Which laptop to buy

Charles Fischer fischer at 4pi.com
Fri Dec 16 10:18:47 EST 2005

Which laptop to buy, that is the question.  The requirements are built
in Ethernet (gigabit would be nice), IEEE-1394 (FireWire) and a large
(as in pixels) screen (1400x1050 minimum).  I must be able to boot both
Linux and some other well known OS.

I do not care who makes the CPU as long as it is x86, sorry no Macs for
this one.  I have had less then happy experiences with Dell, and would
like to stay away from them.  I also find Dell's Linux support to be
about worthless.  I have bought my last Sony anything because of their
DRM shananagains.  I have been happy with my IBM a20p Thinkpad and
before the my Digital HiNote II, but both are just a bit under powered.

Any suggestions on what to buy and where would help.

Thanks
Charles Fischer