[TriLUG] Which laptop to buy

Christopher L Merrill chris at webperformance.com
Fri Dec 16 14:35:31 EST 2005

kevin at flanagannc.net wrote:
> I just saw a co-worker bought a compaq AMD Turion based system, he's
> really happy with it, but I didn't get a good look.  He did say that it
> was only $850, that's something that the Thinkpad can't claim.

IMO, there's a reason :)

I had a Compaq notebook once.  After about a year of daily use, it was
_literally_ falling apart.  Screen hinge failed.  Power supply failed.
Battery charging circuity failed.  Soon after, the screen wires started
getting flakey - making the monitor blink (or not work at all).

Maybe they are better now.  Maybe not.  But if you need something rugged
enough for daily use, there is a reason most road-warriors carry
Thinkpads.  I'm on my second.  When I sold my first, it was as solid as
the day I bought it after two years of use.  They're built like tanks
compared to others I've tried.  I had a Dell assigned to me in a
previous life for a few months.  It seemed pretty solid, but not as
solid as a Thinkpad.

Chris Merrill                  |  http://www.webperformanceinc.com
Web Performance Inc.

Website Load Testing and Stress Testing Software