[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 11:07:19 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Just to be clear on what you mean, are you talking about using the
> auto option in /etc/fstab, or are you running the autofs daemon?  From
> the talk about timeouts I'm guessing that it's the latter.

I've used autofs to do this for quite a long time.  It works very well.
Also, if you uncomment the "auto.net" config file in auto.master file,
it will let you access any NFS path in your network by using the special
path:

/net/<hostname>/exported/nfs/path

If you don't want to access it from there, just put a symlink to the
correct location.

This, btw, is how the NFS mounts on the TriLUG servers are all
done.  The /backup directory is only mounted when needed
so that we don't have to worry about too many NFS mounts at a time.
(Also, you don't have to worry about NFS upon boot, but rather
at access time.)

Cheers,
Tanner

--