[TriLUG] Video Phone Software

Kevin Otte nivex at nivex.net
Mon Dec 19 11:28:14 EST 2005

On Mon, Dec 19, 2005 at 11:15:17AM -0500, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Skype?

While this software does meet the requirements given, it is based upon
proprietary unpublished protocols.  I don't think we should, in an open
source forum, be promoting such things so readily.

GnomeMeeting on Linux can talk with NetMeeting on Windows rather well last
time I tried it (>6 months ago).  These use the older H.323 protocol for
session setup.  Admittedly, I was doing so across a VPN so NAT traversal was
not an issue in my situation.  GnomeMeeting takes measures to traverse a NAT
(STUN I believe), but I cannot speak to the Windows side.  You may need to
open some ports on the Windows side firewall.  Maybe you'll get lucky and
NetMeeting can use uPnP to open it up.

Free World Dialup also offers an all-in-one (IM, voice, video) tool called
Pulver.Communicator, but I have not had any experience with this program.  I
believe it uses SIP for session setup.

Best of luck in your quest for a Free solution that also meets your needs.

--
Kevin Otte, N8VNR
nivex at nivex.net
http://www.nivex.net/

-=-

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
-- George Santayana

"It seems no one reads Santayana anymore."
-- Cdr. Susan Ivanova, Babylon 5