[TriLUG] What Distro Would You Recommend?

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 14:21:44 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Ryan Leathers <ryan.leathers at globalknowledge.com> wrote:
> heh - so what you're saying is you want Debian, but with one of those
> big red "Easy Buttons" from Staples that will future-proof you.
>
> Just go with Debian and "apt-get dist-upgrade" when the time is right.
> This will probably be more satisfying to you than Ubuntu since you'll
> immediately have more available packages without the temptation to flirt
> with backporting, and you've flatly stated your disinterest in graphical
> whiz-bang so lauded by Ubuntu fans. (FYI I use Ubuntu on my work PC)

All the packages in Debian are also available in Ubuntu.  That's what
the "universe" and "multiverse" repositories are that I mentioned ealier.
Those are from debian and are recompiled (and whatever else needs to
be done) for Ubuntu.

You don't have to install a GUI to run ubuntu.  It works just fine as a headless
server too.

Cheers,
Tanner
--