[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 15:28:35 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, that's what I'm scratching my head about.
>
> So I guess you have something like
>
> /server_name /etc/auto.server_name
>
> But then what goes into /etc/auto.server_name?  The how-tos I've found
> seem to focus mostly on automounting floppies and CDs but aren't real
> clear about how to do nfs mounts.
>
> What I'm doing now with my manual nfs mount is to export /public on
> the server and mount it as /public on the client as well. I guess I'm
> going to have to change this to use autofs.

Autofs must have a mount point for each automount.  That's
what /server_name is in auto.master.  Inside your /etc/auto.server_name
file you would have something like this:

public     -soft,intr              server-name:/public

This would then get mounted as /server_name/public on the client computer.

However, all that said, I would STRONGLY recommend just using
the default auto.net file.  It does absolutely everything you need with the
only setup being that you need to uncomment that line in auto.master
and restart autofs.  If you then want it to show up as /public in the client
computer, you can make a symlink from /public to /net/server_name/public
and everything will "just work"(tm).

Cheers,
Tanner
--