[TriLUG] NFS client on Laptop configuration question, and an Ubuntu tip

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon Dec 19 16:59:06 EST 2005

On 12/19/05, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay so I figured that out.  As you said I just uncommented the line
> /net /auto.net
> in /etc/auto.master
>
> and then  something like
> ls /net/frodo
>
> mounted all the exports on frodo to corresponding mountpoints in /net/frodo

Great!  Glad it worked ok.

> So, I guess my next question is with this setup, how do I umount them,
> or at least make sure that they are flushed if I shutdown or reboot,
> or is this somehow done automagically?

They are standard NFS mounts so if you want to unmount it, you can
just do "sudo umount /net/frodo/pathname".  Automount, however, will
automatically unmount it after a specified timeout.  The timeout is
specified in the auto.master file.  Add a "--timeout=nn" to the line
where you specify the auto.net file.  For example:

/net  /etc/auto.net --timeout=60

This will automatically unmount the files after 60 seconds of no files
being opened on the specified share (which, I believe, is the entire
machine, not individual shares within the machine).

At shutdown time, though, since it is a standard NFS mount, it
will just be unmounted with all other mounts like normal.

Cheers,
Tanner

--
Tanner Lovelace