[TriLUG] Which laptop to buy

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 15:17:05 EST 2005

I have a 30GB drive I think.  I left the last 6GB of the drive empty,
unpartitioned.  I made a 24GB partition for WinXP and installed that,
did all the updates and hundreds of reboots, then shutdown completely.
 I then booted from an Ubuntu 5.10 CD and did that install.  Grub
handles the boot menu.  So once Ubuntu was completely updated, I
shutdown.  Now I have 2 OS's on the box.  I powered up, I get the grub
boot menu, I choose WinXP, boot, login, and do whatever it is you
booted to WinXP to do.  Then when it is time to hibernate, choose
Start > Shutdown > "h" (h for hibernate).  When you choose Start >
Shutdown on a XP installation that is not a member of a domain, you
get the 3 pretty colors, green, yellow and red??  Hold "Alt" I
believe, and you should see one of these switch it's function to
hibernate.  I just learned hitting "h" worked for shortcut purposes.
Once WinXP is in hibernation, you can turn the power back on, and the
grub boot menu comes up once again.  The option you need for Ubuntu
(if you do Ubuntu as your linux distro) should be the default option
if grub times out.  Ubuntu 5.04 did not hibernate (and even standby
was a pita) but it appears Ubuntu 5.10 does hibernate properly, though
I've only used this feature once so far.  You can hibernate each OS
independently and power on, use the boot menu and resume whichever OS
you want.

Tip:  Most people say if you are going to dual boot with any Microsoft
Windows based system to install it first at the beginning of the drive
and complete that before installing linux on the empty space you left
behind.

Note:  If you still have the default WinXP install on your Thinkpad,
make sure you burn the System CDs before you re-partition your
drive... and of course backup all your data!  :)

hope that helps,
David McD