[TriLUG] Open source spam control & filtering?

David McDowell turnpike420 at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 08:50:14 EST 2005

I'm stuck with Exchange as well.  I went with a purchased solution
from Symantec that includes the Brightmail plugin to their Mail
Security product for AntiSpam/AntiVirus.  I have to say it works quite
well.  The amount of spam in our inboxes has gone from 100 a day for
some people to less than 2 per week - for each employee.  The CEO was
getting over 300 per day... she now gets about less than 1 every other
week.  The results are mixed in that sense, but I'd say that's about
98% give or take.

Now if you want open source... I'm sure others in the thread will
suggest the popular postfix + spamassassin + clamAV + postgrey (new
greylisting stuff).  There have been various discussions on these mail
gateways over the last couple years on list so you may be able to
google search using "site:trilug.org" and find some of that
information.  The greylisting stuff is new.  People are apparently
raving about it... spamassassin simply isn't cutting it by itself
anymore it seems.  I know at home I'm getting 30 spams a day right now
that get through.  It totally sucks.  I have instructions for
implementing greylisting and will probably do so this weekend.

good luck on your choice!  BTW, another reason I went for a paid
solution... someone else is responsible/accountable if the product
fails to deliver!!  :)  Yes I chose the product, but when you pay for
something (in the CEO's eyes) you have greater accountability for it
to work properly.  The SPAM issue was too huge here (b/c of their
previous admins never teaching them anything so they used their email
addresses EVERYWHERE on the Internet) ... so I had to make sure that
solution worked (and I didn't have extra hardware for the SMTP Gateway
either).

David McD