Imaging Techniques, was Re: [TriLUG] Which laptop to buy

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Dec 22 11:12:26 EST 2005

I thought I'd pipe up and mention g4u as a great way to create an image
of a hard drive.

It comes in the form of a small bootable CD image.  It makes a simple
task (one command) of creating and restoring from images of partitions
or entire drives.

It's a little less secure than David's method, as it goes over
in-the-clear FTP channels (and therefore requires an FTP server
somewhere), but it has gzip built in and, if proper steps are taken to
prepare a drive-to-be-imaged (defragment if applicable, write zeros to
all blank space), can do dramatic things to the size of the image
depending on how much unused space is on the source drive.  (Of course,
in defense of David's method, gzip could absolutely be part of the
command pipeline his method shows.)

I've seen images of clean installations on 80-GB HDs compress to under 4GB.

Check it out: http://www.feyrer.de/g4u/

Cheers,
~Brian