[TriLUG] mounting (looking at) dd image of whole disk

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Sat Dec 24 21:11:07 EST 2005

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005, David W. Aquilina wrote:

> http://edseek.com/~jasonb/articles/linux_loopback.html gives more details on how to find what offset to use.

neato. I've got all the partitions in the image extracted
and mounted. I'm impressed.

If I want to dd these old partitions into a new (bigger)
partitioned and formatted disk, can I just plunk them at the
start of each partition in the new disk and expect the files
to be readable or are there absolute inode numbers
associated with files and the files won't be recognised in
the new disk?

Thanks

Joe