[TriLUG] TiVo and Linux

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Mon Jan 2 19:37:17 EST 2006

My wife and I bought each other TiVo for Hanukkah. It's lots of fun, but I
would like to be able to view the files using the Tivo To Go system. This
creates a .tivo file, which appears to be MPEG2 encoded plus some
encapsulation system. Has anyone managed to get the video out of this
packet to allow playing it? I've tried compiling the mplayer-tivo package,
but with no luck - it just plays garbage. I can use a windows app,
DSD-Debug, to dump the mpeg2 stream and then copy it to linux, but would
prefer a cleaner solution than that. Any advice?

Thanks,
Andy

Andrew J Perrin - andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu - http://www.unc.edu/~aperrin
Assistant Professor of Sociology; Book Review Editor, _Social Forces_
University of North Carolina - CB#3210, Chapel Hill, NC 27599-3210 USA
New Book: http://www.press.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/hfs.cgi/00/178592.ctl