[TriLUG] Scanning for executables

James Tuttle jim_tuttle at ncsu.edu
Tue Jan 3 14:00:28 EST 2006

I'm scripting a process to look through random GIS data and search for,
among other things, files that are executable so that they can be
removed.  I first thought of searching for specific extensions, but
extensions aren't a reliable indication of file type.  Permissions won't
work either, of course.  If anyone has any suggestions to offer, I'd be
grateful.  I'm writing in Python in Linux, but the data will be moved to
Solaris and Windows environments.

Thanks,
Jim

--

Jim Tuttle
Geospatial Data Librarian
North Carolina State University Libraries
Phone:919.513.0651 Fax: 919.513.3553 Jim_Tuttle at ncsu.edu

PGP key: http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x69B69B08