[TriLUG] RE: Prosperous New Year

jonc jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed Jan 4 09:01:00 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-03 at 21:54, Chris Bullock wrote:
>  >>So that OpenBSD firewall *will* make it through 2006
> unscathed!
>
> Quick questions, since this is a firewall do you only recompile when there are remote security vulnerabilities?  And since OBSD is released every 6 monthes, do you not upgrade to a supported version?
> --chris

Since there has only been 1 remote access vulnerability in 8 years for
any released OpenBSD version, I would waiting a long.... time between
updates. And that one vulnerability was a long while back.

I have a *lot* of confidence in my OpenBSD firewall. And since it does
everything I currently need (and can handle 10x the current load) I'm
not going to be upgrading it anytime soon.  In fact, I expect the
hardware to die long before I'll ever have a need to touch the installed
OS again.

Jon Carnes