Uptime vs. Kernel updates (was Re: [TriLUG] Prosperous New Year)

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Jan 4 13:30:54 EST 2006

 > A reboot risks having to travel to another state (Ok only about
 > 1 hour drive) to fix a failed reboot.
 >
 > Time since I last was in the physical presence of my server:

Wimp.

I manage a server in Malaysia that connects to the internet
via dial-up.  Last time I did a kernel upgrade on it, I set
up a cron job to dial in every five minutes, installed my new
kernel, rebooted, and sat with crossed fingers for a few
sweaty minutes.

Distance to server: 13,000 miles
Minimum time to get there: 24 hours in the air, plus layovers.
The backup plan: phone number of someone who could type what I
told them.

Alan

.