Uptime vs. Kernel updates (was Re: [TriLUG] Prosperous New Year)

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Wed Jan 4 15:13:44 EST 2006

David A. Cafaro said the following:

>Yep, a wimp I be!  Malaysia?  Have you even seen that server in person?

Yes, I installed it.

I bought the smallest form-factor PC that Intrex sold,
installed Debian stable, put it in a suitcase, and then
hopped on a plane.  After the installation, I spent some
R&R time on a tiny island in the Straits of Malacca,
some of the nicest beaches that you can imagine.

Ah, the life of an international Linux consultant!

The PC is set up at a furniture factory, and it basically
allows them to share their dial-up internet connection
among all of the office employees.

Why travel 13,000 miles for a simple internet gateway
installation?  The factory is owned by my brother-in-law,
and this was a trip to visit family.  For those that don't
know me (fendy), I lived in Singapore in 2001 and 2002.

Alan

.