[TriLUG] OT: OpenVote

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 08:45:25 EST 2006

This would be nice, but we are too far away from this being a reality
in the near future (sadly).  I've had a vision of an "electronic town
hall" for quite some time where our elected representatives could post
a question in his or her town hall to get a feel for what the
constituents really felt about an issue.

But then I thought since it was so easy (relatively) to hi-jack a
computer over the Internet I thought that wouldn't it then be easy
(somewhat) to electronically submit votes to influence a town hall?
And if you could do then perhaps it would be possible to submit true
votes, if such an Internet system existed.

Personally I don't think we'll see Internet voting any time soon.
There is just too much that can go wrong and non-techies (the majority
of the population) still doesn't trust the Internet enough.

Greg