[TriLUG] cupsys broken, libslp1 at fault?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Jan 5 17:22:13 EST 2006

Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> On 1/5/06, Brian Henning <brian at strutmasters.com> wrote:
>
>>Tanner said:
>>
>>>Try apt-get --fix-broken install ?  That's what I generally do to fix things
>>>when a dependency is broken.  ...
>>
>>(without the ? )..
>

> Yeah, sorry about that.  I put the question there because I
> was, well, phrasing it as a question. :-)

Ah, I took it as an imperative, as in "try this..."  No harm done.

>>*jaw hits table...clunk*  You mean that's ALL I had to DO??
>>
>>Fer cryin' out...  wow.  Thanks.  ^_^
>

> Glad to help.  The only reason I know that command is that
> I've had a few dependency problems once in a while and apt
> itself suggested I try running that command.  I guess you
> were using dpkg, though, so it wouldn't have suggested it to
> you.  Anyway, glad to hear it's working now. (That is the case,
> right? :-)

More or less.  One lasting problem that doesn't have to do with
packages, and is one that I've had up till now already: if anything
interferes with my USB printer (Dell-branded Lexmark z600 series) [i.e.
a cancelled print job, power-cycling the printer to get it to eject the
half-printed page, etc.], only a complete reboot will resurrect it.
I've tried restarting hotplug and cupsys, but those actions don't have
any effect.  Obviously I'm just not restarting the right service; do you
know which process I should be poking at to get it up again?  Rebooting
is just...annoying!

Thanks again!
~Brian