[TriLUG] openoffice question

Kohei Yoshida kohei.yoshida at gmail.com
Thu Jan 5 23:27:23 EST 2006

Hi Jim,

On 1/4/06, Jim Wright <wrightjim at gmail.com> wrote:
> This thread got me thinking about finding out how easy it is to write
> a macro in OO...unfortunately I'd say the answer is "not so easy".  I
> can definitely see the power of OO's object oriented model, but I
> think a lot of people who use Excel macros heavily would balk at
> it

>From someone who has migrated from Excel VBA to OO.o UNO, I agree with
your point.  OO.o's macro is not very intuitive, at least at first
especially for someone with a heavy VBA background.  In defense of
OO.o, though, I must say UNO is much more powerful than VBA, except
that its documentation is not very abundant.  And you can't learn it
just by recording a macro and study the generated code.

The Novell folks are actually working on implementing a VBA layer atop
OO.o's existing object model.

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/VBA

But again, 100% compatibility is always a tough goal (read:
impossible), so even this will not replace the need to learn OO.o's
object model in the long run.

Kohei

--
Kohei Yoshida