[TriLUG] [OT] External disk storage

Joseph Mack NA3T jmack at wm7d.net
Fri Jan 6 09:06:48 EST 2006

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, William Sutton wrote:

> A friend of mine is looking for some external hard disk
> units (nothing as big as a snap server or nas, just a disk
> in an external enclosure).  What brands/models do you
> trust & reccommend?

This comes up a couple of times a year here.

I use the ME-720U2F firewire/usb enclosure, which I got
through Dealsonic for about $40 (I have two and they take
disks upto 400GBytes). The two halves of the unit snap
together. With some judicious screwdriver-fu and remembering
how they snap together, you can non-destructively separate
the two halves to change disks (like when you need a bigger
one). I leave one open to install files on a 2.5" disk for
laptops (you'll need a 3.5" to 2.5" IDE adapter as well).

Be aware that you can't use smartmontools through a USB link
(it doesn't support the neccessary scsi commands).

Other people here have said that they're happy with an
enclosure from Intrex.

Joe