[TriLUG] SCP & CP Weirdness

Mark Freeze mfreeze at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 10:13:02 EST 2006

I am recovering data from a crashed windows drive formatted with ntfs.  I
have the drive in an external enclosure and it is connected at
/media/usbdisk.  There are all kinds of bad sectors and messed up files on
this drive and I have been getting data from it for the past few days but I
have run into a strange situation when copying files and I wanted to see if
anyone had heard of this before...

I've connected the external drive to my laptop and scp'd files over to my
server and I've connected the drive straight to my server and just cp'd the
files.  Everything seemed to be working until I tried to copy a large
(~30GB) directory over. Unlike the other stuff I have copied from the drive
this is a directory of directories of directories of files. The other things
I copied had no subdir's.  I did scp -r to get all of the subdirectories but
it only copied maybe 5 out of 60.  I thought it may have been because I was
scp'ing over a wireless laptop connection and it might be timing out so I
connected directly to the server and got the same result.  The strange part
is that I can cd directly to these subdir's and cp the files manually.

Does anyone have any idea why cp would only get some subdir's and not
others?

Thanks,
Mark.