[TriLUG] 802.11g WiFi Card recomendations

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Sun Jan 8 21:49:22 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-08 at 21:12 -0500, Kevin Sonney wrote:
> So it appears my WG511T card is unhappy. Unhappy enough to kernel trap
> and cause disruptions across the entire WiFi [1] network in my house
> (yeah, that's unhappy). [2]
>
> So now I'm in the market for a new 802.11G[3] PCMCIA (Or USB - I'm
> open to using USB for this) adapter. What is the rest of the LUG
> having success with?

Hi Kevin,

I recently bought a NetGear WG511U a/b/g card and can confirm that it
works nicely with b/g using the madwifi drivers on a Fedora Core 4
system.  The "a" part also appears to work but I don't have any "a"
access points to test it against.  A cow-orker bought an identical card
and claims the "a" works nicely for him with Mandriva.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307